Pre-MathCounts Basic (Grades 3-5)
About this course
Our students will be exposed to topics and related math problems that are frequently encountered in MathCounts competition. Target grades for this course are grades 3-5.
The topics will be including but not limited to:
- Pattern recognition
- Gauss sums
- Age problems
- Distance, rate and time problems
- Number sense: fast addition, subtraction and multiplication
- Number Theory: remainder problems
- Shapes and perimeter
Math Competitions targeted with this course are:
- Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools (MOEMS)
- The Math League
- Math Kangaroo in USA
- Continental Math League
- The Noetic Learning Math Contest (NLMC) (Fall and Spring rounds)
- Pi Math Contest (Elimination and final rounds. Final round will be in San Jose, CA)
Who should Take This Course
- Students who can solve, without guessing, around 15 or more problems on Math League 6th grade diagnostic exam below.
Who should Skip This Course
- Students who can solve, without guessing, around 25 or more problems on Math League 6th grade diagnostic exam below.